Monday 18 February 2008

(re) touching myself

ok, my idea as it stands so far is still to have Kelly Doll's (all of which could kick Barbie's arse) but instead of having a brochure or catalogue like layout to have the book more like an instruction manual.

The style i want to use is kind of a mixture of illustration and photos, think monty python style and also the Rik Mayall 'Me and My Goldfish" animation



So far I've written all the text that I want to include and have started making all the me's. I've also learnt the art of retouching photo's, so goodbye hangover eyes and my harry potter style lightning scar. I've only been working on the different heads so far but this is quite quick to do so i can draw the different bodies and accessories (maybe) once the faces have been done.

Above: First Thing In The Morning Kelly Doll

The plan is to have the layout so it looks like an instruction manual, i've been experimenting with different layouts on paper but its difficult to get something that looks like its a manual but also looks interesting. I think this is the part of my project that is going to take the longest. Theres a couple of ideas that I've got at the moment but while they look alright in sketch form i'm not sure yet how its going to translate onto the computer and into book form, its kinda hard to imagine how the finished thing will look.

2 comments:

Beth said...

Thats fucking cool, I cant wait to see your other Kelly dolls. Well done.

Beth said...

Hi kelly,
An update on the book binding situation and its not good news.
I went over to grand parade today and they don't do a book binding service, they just run courses on how do to it. They gave me a recommendation in Lewes which I phoned and its the same one as I contacted a couple of weeks ago and it costs £50 for 1 book and it takes between 4 and 7days.
Ive decided that if I don't find a place over the weekend I am gonna make mine my self.
Ill let you know if I find anywhere else. Hope you got on alright with your Illustrations. See you monday.x