Wednesday 6 February 2008

I was going to update this thing with more about transmediale but without copying and pasting from the website, there’s not a great deal more to say on it. I kind of wished I’d taken more notes, but conveniently forgetting a pen and more conveniently not being able to buy one anywhere, this wasn’t to be.

Touching down in Germany me and Colin decided to do what any other British person in Germany would do (if they were fans of the Izzard that is) and stand at the top of the steps, pride in our voices and sewage smells in our nose, and say “Ich Bin Ein Berliner”.. which means “I am a doughnut”

Hotel Transit was actually very awesome, but I’m cheap and easy and they won me over with there 24 hour bar that you can smoke in. They had me at “hallo, ashtray?” Given that I have been smoking since I was 13 (16 if my dad asks) I couldn’t smell the wonderful smog of nicotine and chemicals. Upon lugging my suitcase (mostly empty for extra fags) I was greeted by everyone else excitedly telling me we were allowed to smoke there. That was giddy knickers moment one.

That night also taught me, when drinking huge beers with the lads to always, always lace your stomach with food. I was one of those great people that decided to inform everyone else how completely fucked I was. But the main thing was, I wasn’t sick. I also earned the respect from the boys for downing what was practically a pint. I say practically a pint because the quantity increases every time I tell this story.

The rest of the night’s sort of blur into one of beer, fags and early morning bed times. I earned extra cool points for staying up till 7.30am and waking up at 9.30am strolling into breakfast looking as fresh as a daisy or a crazy Romanian bear.

Other noteworthy points were walking for hours before finding anything of interest, esp. the trip for the magical panorama bar. Stoneman’s look of terror and not being able to go will haunt my dreams forever. We did find it, but I buggered off home, deeming it to look shit. Glad I did because I got the early and restful night of 3.30 am that I needed.

Last noteworthy point was our film. I can’t put down all the details here due to legal reasons and I don’t want to really upset people, but let me say it was MY idea. It started with ME saying to other people equally as drunk as ME… “if we were all in a horror film, who would die and who would survive?” No one survives. Looking back this was at best an in joke that passed a few hours of boredom, although Me, Chris K, nice Pete and Zach were thoroughly convinced it was going to be a masterpiece and a new generation of wiki-movie making. Really all it is is being able to pin point the exact moment I got completely and utterly pissed just based on my handwriting.

As for the rest of the trip.. what happens in Berlin, stays in Berlin.

No comments: