Monday 14 April 2008

more research for exam project



funny video from Armstrong and Miller about predictive text swearing, quite good, very similar to the history of the F word though.

The more i think about the 'dyslexic machine' the more i like the idea... no more jokes like a dyslexic pimp bought a warehouse, and the dyslexic sold his soul to santa. Not that they bother me, mainly because i don't get them at first, but they're so overused. I get the same text jokes practically every month, only changing when a celebrity dies. No text jokes on kids presenter Mark Speight as yet, though the day is young. But i digress, i think my point is that so many people are reliant on these machines and see them as perfect. Many write a text message and send it, relying on predictive text without checking it properly first. Only today i got a text from a good friend, who is very bright and normally very good at spelling. It said "i'm really bored, i foot want to be here".. i think it was supposed to say 'don't'... so perhaps these machines are making us dumber, or careless. I'm quite pedantic with text messages, and i will use punctuation and don't get me started on the subject of text talk. It seems i'm not alone with the hatred for text speak. So many forum rules are "no flaming, no text speak" it confuses people, they want the message instantly without having to decode or work out what is being said.

example text from my 13 year old neice "hiya, wot u up 2 u cmin ova l8r :D tk sn, tb bri xxx" i still have no idea what that says, so i rang her. A few extra letters in that and it would have saved me the effort.

anyway, i'm trying to be clever with no real point. Just posting my thoughts and research as and when i find them, helping me hone my idea more. Anyway, here's some links that i found.

- Predictive text creating secret teen language

- Misspellings on eBay can pay

- Predictive, yet unpredictable

oh there was also a fairly interesting article in a sunday paper supplement which i may scan and post at some point. It was just a filler really on the evils of online social networks, but useful for my essay.

No comments: